This delicious dish is a slightly different, healthier take on conventional pesto pasta but is still super easy and quick to make. Quinoa, although still composed of mostly carbs, has more protein and fat than pasta making it a little healthier and it is gluten-free! I used a freshly prepared parsley pesto to add a little more of a twist to this recipe. The parsley pesto compliments the flavors of the shrimp and adds a fresh take on boring old pesto pasta, but you can always use regular pesto if that is what you have available.
- 1 cup parsley pesto NOTE: You can also substitute any other type of pesto you want.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, deveined NOTE: To make this recipe even quicker and simpler to prepare you can use pre-cooked shrimp
- 1 cup dry quinoa (makes 3 cups of quinoa once cooked)
- 2 cups of water
- Vegetables of your choice NOTE: I used 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms, 1/4 chopped onion and two small tomatoes because that is what I had on hand, but when I make this in the future I am going to add more veggies
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bring the cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Once it begins to boil, lower the heat, cover it and cook for 15mins. When it is done, remove it from the heat and set aside for later
- Chop all your veggies and defrost your shrimp if it is frozen. Also remove the tails of all the shrimp if they are still attached.
- Sautee your vegetables in a large frying pan/skillet over medium heat for about 5-8mins or until they are nearly cooked.NOTE: certain veggies cook longer tha others so start with the veggies that take longer to cook(examples: onions, peppers, broccoli) and about 3-5mins in add the veggies that cook faster(examples: mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach).
- Add in the shrimp and cook for 4-6mins until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked through. NOTE: If you are using precooked shrimp just cook until the shrimp is heated through(about 2-3 mins)
- Stir in the parsley pesto to coat the shrimp and veggies. Cook until the pesto is heated and bubbling.
- Remove from heat and serve the pesto shrimp over the quinoa.
Servings: 6 Serving size: 1/2 cup quinoa and 5-6 shrimp (Or about 1 cup all mixed together)
Estimated by http://www.caloriecount.com/