This recipe is adapted from http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/07/taco-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html, which also has a ton of other great recipes if you are looking for healthy meal ideas. It is a healthier take on a Mexican favorite, and this is the best homemade taco recipe I have ever tried.
- 4 small zucchinis( or green/red peppers or any other vegetable that can be scooped out to make a boat), cut horizontally in half
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/2 bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. While you are waiting, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves(or vegetable of choice), leaving about a 1/4-inch thick shell on each half. Chop up the zucchini you scooped from the middle and save it for later(It will go into the taco meat).
- Drop the zucchini halves into the boiling water and cook for 1 minute before removing.
- Organize the semi-cooked zucchini into a pan(mine was 9×13).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix all your spices together in a bowl.(You can do thsi step later but I find it is easier to prep the spices now so you can mix them altogether before pouring them over the turkey. This makes it easier to mix into the turkey.
- Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. I like to just chop it with the spoon I am using to stir but you can use a fork or knife just be careful not to scratch the bottom of your pan.
- When no longer pink add the spices and mix well.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about 1/4 cup in each, pressing firmly. If you want cheese, sprinkle that over the zucchini boats now.
- Cover with foil and bake 25-35 minutes until the zucchini is cooked through.
- If you want to, top with scallions or cilantro and serve. You are also welcome to add anything you would normally have on tacos like guacamole, salsa, or sour cream:)
The serving size is equivalent to 2 zucchini boats. This recipes makes 4 servings.
estimated by http://caloriecount.about.com/