This is a great recipe if you are looking for a twist on a Mexican favorite. This soup is packed with veggies and turkey and is similar to a chili, just without the beans so it is 21 day sugar detox approved. You can adjust the spice to your taste, but personally I don’t like very spice foods so I usually make mine very mild. I usually use left over taco meat when I have too much and get sick of regular tacos. If you want to do that you can find my recipe for taco meat here. Then you can skip steps 2-4 and eliminate half the onions and peppers(unless you want the extra veggies) to simplify the cooking process.
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped (I usually use about 1 1/2 medium onions)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, any variety(I usually use 1 green pepper and 1/2 red pepper)
- 2 small zucchinis
- 1 tbsp butter(can substitute for any other fat this is just for sauteeing the vegetables)
- 1 8 oz package of baby bella mushrooms, about 3 cups chopped (you can substitute regular mushrooms or portbella mushroom caps)
- 2 medium tomatos, finely chopped
- 1 can fire roasted tomatos
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-4 cups chicken stock(you can make your own chicken stock or, if you are going to buy it, make sure to check the ingredients for added sugars or artificial ingredients especially if you are on the 21 day sugar detox. You can also substitute chicken broth)
- 1-2 jalapenos
- sirachia/hot sauce
- sour cream
- crushed tortilla chips(don’t do this if you are on the 21 day sugar detiox)
- Chop all your veggies(onions, bell peppers, zucchinis, tomatoes, and optional jalapeno) and prep your spices. You can do this during the cooking process but I like to be prepared before I start so I don’t have to pay to much attention to the overall cooking process. If you do it this way you can basically just add stuff to the potand give it an occasional stir while basically ignoring it until it’s done.
- Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. I like to just chop it with the spoon I am using to stir but you can use a fork or knife just be careful not to scratch the bottom of your pan
- When no longer pink add the spices and mix well.
- Add the zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for later.
- Once everything is prepped, melt your butter(or fat of choice) in a large pot and sautee the onion and pepper for about 5 mins until the onions are translucent and the peppers are pretty soft. Optional: If you want your soup to be a little spicier add your 1-2 chopped jalapenos to the onions and peppers.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and sautee for about 2 mins to brown the mushrooms.
- Add the chopped fresh tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, reserved turkey taco meat, and chicken stock to the pot and bring the pot to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer the soup for 15mins.
- Optional: garnish with avocado, cheese, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, hot sauce or sirachia. The avocado, cheese, and sour cream will add creaminess and maybe cool down some of the spice you added to the dish. The crushed tortilla chips would add a little crunch, and the hot sauce and sirachia could add a little extra kick if it is not spicy enough for you.
Serving size: 1 cup, Number of Servings:~10
estimated by http://caloriecount.about.com/