This is a classic Italian dish that is super easy to make. I tried to make this a little lighter by using turkey sausage and I made the portion size rather large when calculating calories since I ate this as my entire meal. It is 21dsd approved, but just make sure the sausages you buy don’t have any added sugar or artificial ingredients. I got mine from Whole Foods at the meat counter. Feel free to ask to ask them questions, they are usually more than happy to answer them and they have a ton of information about the farms where they get their meat so you can make sure you are getting unprocessed food.
- 4 mild Italian turkey sausages(Or pork or grass-fed beef depending upon your preference) NOTE: If you like a little spice get the hot italian sausages for a little extra kick.
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Preheat your oven to 350°F .
- Optional: Remove the casings from your sausages. The casing creeps me out, but it is totally find to cook with. It just keep the meat in a sausage shape so it doesn’t crumble as easily.
- Cut your sausage into four equal sections so it will cook more evenly. Place the cut sections into your roasting pan.
- Slice your vegetables into strips.
- Add your sliced veggies to your pan and sprinkle with the olive oil and basil.
- Place your pan into the oven and bake for 45mins to 1 hour, stirring occasionally(about every 15mins).
Servings size: 1 sausage and about 1 1/2 cups of veggies, Total Servings: 4
estimated by http://caloriecount.about.com/