This healthy chicken vegetable soup is 21 day sugar detox approved! The turnips in it mimic the heartiness of potatoes or noodles, without all the starch.
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts(you can also make a whole chicken and use breast meat from that and then use the bones to make the stock that serves as the base to this soup, but this time I used store bought stock and chicken breasts to save time)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- 3 cups diced turnips(about 3 medium)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of kale(about 6 cups dry and 3 cups cooked)
- 4 oz mushrooms( half an 8oz package), chopped
- 4-6 cups chicken stock(You want to have 8 cups of liquid total but you can adjust the stock and water values based on how concentrated you want the chicken flavor to be. There is typically abotu 4 cups of stock in a conatiner but I happened to have 1 and a half conatiners, so 6 cups so that is what I used in this recipe, but you can adjust it to yoru taste)
- 2-4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400°F .
- Prepare your chicken breasts by rubbing them with 1 tbsp of the oliver oil and then sprinkling them with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook the breasts in the oven for 30-40mins until the juices run clear and/or your meat thermometer reaches 165 °F at the thickest point. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can also make a small slit in the thickest part and if there is no pink it is done. Take this out of the oven and set it aside to cool.
- While your chicken is cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove.
- Roughly chop your kale and add it to the pot of boiling water.
- Cook the kale for about 15 mins until it is softened and the water is slightly green.
- Drain the kale and set it aside for later
- Place the remaining tbsp of olive oil in a large pot and sautee the onions for about 5 mins or until they are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and turnips and sautee for another 2-3mins.
- Add the chicken stock, water, and kale and bring to a boil.
- As soon as it begins to boil, turn the heat down, cover the soup and simmer for 15-20mins or until the turnips are tender.
- While the soup is simmering chop your cooled chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add the cooked chicken after the turnips are tender and simmer the soup, uncovered for an additional 5 mins.
Serving size: 1.5 cup, Number of Servings: 8
estimated by http://caloriecount.about.com/