These delicious lemon poppy seed muffins are sweetened only by bananas, making them 21 day sugar detox friendly. They are also gluten-free and paleo for those of you with dietary restrictions. I also substituted chia seeds for the traditional poppy seeds to add a boost of omega-3s, fiber, and protein to these otherwise dessert-like muffins. At less than 100 calories per muffin, these little treats are still packed with nutrients!
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (you can substitute coconut oil if you are trying to avoid dairy)
- 1 banana(about 1/2 cup mashed) NOTE: used green tipped if on the 21dsd, otherwise use very ripe bananas to make it sweeter
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup buttermilk NOTE: If you do not have buttermilk you can substitute 1/4 cup milk + 3/4 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar (which is what I did) and let the concoction sit for 10mins so the milk curdles a bit(this is what you want to happen). If you want to make this dairy free use 1/4 coconut milk +3/4 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar and again leave it for 10mins. You can use almond or any kind of milk substitute but coconut milk will work the best.
- 2/3 cup almond flour NOTE: If you are going to use coconut flour instead of almond flour, reduce the amount you use to 1/2 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds( or poppy seeds)
- 1 tsp lemon zest(this is the shredded peel of the lemon)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Fill a muffin pan with baking cups or coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor(or blender), blend the melted butter, banana, egg yolks(your egg whites should be in a separate bowl) and buttermilk until there are no clumps of banana and everything is well mixed.(sorry I took the picture after I transfered the batter to another bowl.)
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, chia seeds and lemon zest, salt, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into each cup of the prepared muffin pan so each cup is 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
Serving size: 1 muffin, Servings: 12
estimated by caloriecount.about.com