I tried making this recipe from nomnompaleo(original recipe found here) last night but slightly modified it to make it 21 day sugar detox friendly(and because I didn’t have all of the ingredients). You can easily use the original recipe and just use green apples in the recipe but I didn’t have any apples lying around so I omitted them. The original recipe gives a nice step by step picture tutorial so go check it out if my directions aren’t as easy to follow. The recipe got rave reviews from my boyfriend and friend who was over, but it is not the healthiest thing I have ever made, so I had green beans and cauliflower on the side to make up for some of the fat and calories. This recipe is definitely one to eat in moderation, but it is so delicious and yields the most tender, moist porkchops ever.
- 3 slices thick cut bacon(or 5-6 slices of thinner bacon), cut into ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1½ cups chicken stock(If you made my buffalo chicken reciperecently and reserved teh stock thsi is the perfect time to use it)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce(this adds a little extra flavor but if you don’t have any lying around just add a pinch of salt)
- 3 bone-in pork chops (about 1.5lbs total)
- 1 tablespoon butter(you can also substitute olive oil)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Fry the sliced bacon in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the bacon is extra crispy and you have about 2 tbsp of bacon grease and drippings in the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the fried bacon with a slotted spoon or fork (so you save most of the bacon grease at the bottom) and place on a paper towel to drain.(It is okay if there are a few pieces small bacon bits left in the saucepan)
- Whisk in the arrowroot powder and cook this mixture, whisking constantly for about 2-3mins until it is browned.
- Pour in the chicken stock and fish sauce(or salt) and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to bring the sauce to a boil and cook until it’s thickened (about 3 mins), stirring occasionally.
- Move the saucepan off the heat and save it for later.
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter (or oil)in a large pan/skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the chops and cook on each side for about 1 minute or until golden-brown.
- Remove the pork chops from the pan and reserve on a plate until later.
- Add your onion and garlic to the pan and sautee until the onions are browned and soft.
- Return your pork chops to the pan and cover then with the onions.
- Pour the reserved sauce over the pork chops.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the pork chops are fork-tender.
- Serve the pork chops topped with onions, a bit of the sauce and the reserved bacon bits.
Servings: 3, Serving size: 1 pork chop w/ 1/3 of the onion and 1/3 of the bacon bits(1-2 slices of bacon)
estimated by http://caloriecount.about.com/