With my sister’s birthday right around the corner, I was inspired to make chocolate cupcakes, but I am on the 21dsd, so I couldn’t add sugar. I experimented with my typical chocolate cupcake recipe to make this version gluten-free, sweetener-free, paleo, but still delicious. For those of you actually looking for a sweet cupcake recipe don’t despair because I’ve added modifications to make this sweeter(for when you aren’t on the 21dsd) like a conventional cupcake. You can use whatever frosting you want on these, but I’ve used whipped coconut cream(recipe here) to make a delicious paleo, dairy-free frosting which is amazing whether you add sweeteners or not.
Ingredients for the chocolate cupcakes:
- 2 bananas NOTE: If you want a more traditional/sweet cupcake replace the bananas with 3/4 cup honey or 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted NOTE: can also substitute ghee or butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk NOTE: If you don’t have buttermilk you can add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar to 1/2 milk(or coconut milk) and let it sit for 10mins to slightly curdle the milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut flour NOTE: If you are using almond flour, increase the amount to 1/3 cup.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt(just a pinch)
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tray with 12 baking cups( or grease the muffin pan if you don’t have baking cups).
- Place the bananas, eggs, and melted coconut oil in a blender/food processor and blend until smooth. Then transfer to a large bowl. NOTE: If you are using traditional sweeteners beat the sugars or honey and melted coconut oil together in a bowl with beaters or by hand and then add in the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add in all the dry ingredients (coconut flour,unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) and then mix everything together.
- Fill each cup in the muffin pan 3/4 of the way full.
- Cook the cupcakes at 350°F for 17-20 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to completely cool before frosting them. If you want to use my coconut cream whipped frosting(which can made with or without sweeteners) the recipe is here.
Serving Size: 1 cupcake Servings: 12
Nutrition data for sugar-free cupcakes:
Nutrition data for regular cupcakes(made with honey)
Nutrition data estimated by http://caloriecount.about.com/