I stumbled upon this recipe for homemade enchilada sauce on gimmesomeoven.com and it looked good so I decided to try it for myself and use it for my chicken enchiladas. It turned out great! This is now my go-to enchilada sauce because it is super simple, quick, and delicious. I made it paleo and gluten-free by using healthier oils and arrowroot flour instead of regular flour.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot flour
- 4 Tbsp chili powder (you can adjust the amount of chili powder based on how hot you want it)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock (If you want to make your own check out my recipe here)
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the arrowroot flour and whisk together over the heat for one minute.
- Stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder, garlic powder,salt, cumin, and oregano).
- Gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes until thick. Use immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.
Serving size: 2 tbsp, Servings: 8
estimated by http://caloriecount.about.com/