There is nothing I love more than hot soup when I am sick or really anytime during the winter. This creamy sweet potato soup tastes like a dessert without any added dairy or sugar!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter NOTE: You can substitute coconut or olive oil to make this dairy-free/vegan
- 1 lb sweet potato( about 4 sweet potatoes)
- 5 cups chicken stock NOTE: You can also substitute vegetable broth to make this vegetarian/vegan
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat and add the chopped onion and shallot.
- Sautee the onion and shallot until they turn translucent(about 5 mins).
- Add the sweet potatoes and toss to coat with the cooked onions.
- Add the stock/broth and spices(nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger) and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are very tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- remove the soup from the heat and blend with a hand blender or in a food processor/blender. NOTE: If you do this in a food processor/regular blender you may need to do this in batches and you will want to wait until the soup cools a bit( about 20-30mins)
Servings: 5 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
estimated by http://www.caloriecount.com/