These vanilla date cakes are sweet, buttery and delicious and sweetened only with dates. I was playing around with making a naturally sweetened, gluten-free yellow cupcake and this was the result. But it is much too dense to be a cupcake and actually has the consistency of a sweet bread so I don’t recommend adding frosting. Trust me it is good on its own. If you want it a little sweeter you can add some dried fruit or white chocolate chips would be really good.
- 15 medjool dates(makes about a cup of date paste) NOTE: If you already have date paste you will need a cup of it to add to this recipe.
- 2 tsp water
- 3/4 cup(1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature NOTE: you can also substitute in Ghee or coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) milk NOTE: I used whole milk but you can substitute almond or coconut milk if you want to eliminate dairy
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- OPTIONAL: dried fruit(such as raisins, craisins or apricots) and/or chocolate chips( I think white chocolate chips would be super amazing but regular chocolate chips would be good too)
- Soak your medjool dates in warm water for 30mins-1 hour until they are puffy and you can easily remove the pits with your fingers. NOTE: if you have premade date paste skip to step 4 now.
- Remove the pits from the dates and throw away. Place the de-pitted dates in a food processor, blender, or bowl if you want to use a hand blender)
- Add the 2 tsp of water to the dates and then blend until you have a smooth date paste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 16 cups over two muffin pans or fill with cupcake liners. This recipe makes 16 mini cakes, so I put 8 cakes in each pan. NOTE: If you want you can just make a single cake in a bundt pan, 9 by 9 square pan or any pan you have that the batter will fit in.
- Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugar together until fully blended(3-5 mins). It will have a creamy texture.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add the eggs,vanilla, and milk. Beat on medium-high speed until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. NOTE: If you are adding optional ingredients add them in here.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners filling them 2/3-3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes begin to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool or enjoy ommediately.These will keep in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer. These are best served warm.
Serving size: 1 mini cake Servings: 16
estimated by http://www.caloriecount.com/