I got black radishes in my food share this week and had no idea what to do with them. Honestly, I thought they were beets at first. I started researching online about them and a lot of people said they are super flavorful and extra spicy, but butter tones the flavor down a bit. So I decided to shred them and cook them in butter with a bit of lime to add a little extra flavor. I was this as a side dish to pair with a tropical cod(which is basically just cod with tropical preserves spread over the top( you can read more about this here), so the lime also fit into that tropical theme for my meal.
This is a super simple dish that can also be made vegan/dairy-free by using coconut oil instead of butter. This will also give it a more tropical flavor.
- 5 medium radishes(about 3 cups shredded)
- 2 tbsp butter (or coconut oil if you want to make this dairy-free/vegan)
- juice of one lime(approximately 1 tbsp of lime juice)
- Peel and shred the radishes.
- Melt the butter/coconut oil over medium-high heat then add the shredded radish.
- Stir in your lime juice and saute the radish, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15minutes or until the radish begins to brown.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately. This pairs well with fish.
Servings: 3, Serving Size: 1 cup
estimated by http://www.caloriecount.com/