This salad was an experiment to use up some random ingredients I had lying around and came out really well. It is vegetarian-friendly and is on the sweeter side but still super healthy! Bulgur wheat makes up the base of this salad while veggies and dried cherries are mixed in and it is all marinated in a cinnamon, lemon, honey yogurt dressing. I also snuck in some turmeric, which is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and gives the dressing its yellow color.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 3 cups cold water
- ½ tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried sour cherries, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh arugula
- 1(7 oz) container plain yogurt (about 1 cup) NOTE: I used Fage 2% greek yogurt, but you can use whatever kind of plain yogurt you want.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 lemon, juiced(about 4 tbsp of lemon juice)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Add bulgur wheat and water to a pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes until the wheat is tender. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan/skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté until translucent.
- Add the sour cherries and cook until the cherries are heated through.
- Stir the cherry onion mixture into the cooked bulgur wheat and add the chopped arugula.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, and nutmeg.
- Pour the dressing over the barley mixture , and toss well to combine. Serve at room temperature topped with the sliced almonds (about 1 tbsp per serving).
Serving Size: 1/2 cup, Servings: 8
estimated by http://www.caloriecount.com/