Most people dread the winter because of the cold, but I dread it because it is beet season:( I cannot stand beets by themselves but I seem to get them every week for the 10 week winter food share and always struggle to find ways to sneak them into my diet. One of my favorite way to do so is to sneak them into baked goods like my red velvet cupcakes but this week I wanted to try to cut out some of the sugar and carbs by making a variation of my healthy chocolate milkshake that had some beet puree mixed in. After some tweaking of the recipe I got what tasted like a liquid red velvet cupcake, hence the name of this milkshake. It is a delicious way to sneak some beets in and can be made sugar-free for those of you on the 21 day sugar detox.
- 1 banana (Use green tipped if on the 21 day sugar detox)
- 1/4 cup beet puree
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk NOTE: I used coconut milk to make this dairy free but you can use any kind of milk you want
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp molasses or honey NOTE: If you are on the 21 day sugar detox omit this added sugar. I used 1 tbsp of molasses and 1 tbsp of honey in mine because I hate the flavor of beets and this came out VERY sweet so next time I would half the amount of each molasses and honey but I like having both of them in the drink.
- 4-5 ice cubes
- Add all you ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth(about 3 mins).
- Serve chilled. Left overs will last in the fridge for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
NOTE:This is a super filling smoothie so even though the nutrition is for two servings, you can easily stretch this into 3-4servings if you are having it as a dessert or snack.
Servings: 2 Serving Size: 1/2 smoothie recipe(approx. 1/2 cup)
estimated by http://www.caloriecount.com/